Design and Technology at Northfields Nursery and Infant School
We aim to –
- Teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in processes to design and make a finished product.
- Give the children opportunities to carry out DT in different environments, in our school this will be in the classroom, outdoors in the growing area, playground or field and wild area.
- Develop a good understanding of the importance of a healthy varied diet and where food comes from.
- Teach children how to move and handle tools and equipment safely.
Our children will experience
- Preparing and trying different foods. Cooking and baking developing through school.
- Opportunities to make large and small scale models and create objects for a specific purpose.
- The handling of wood working tools and other craft resources.
- Develop the skills in designing, planning, making and evaluating.
- Forest School offsite visits offer new locations to practice skills learned.
- Invitations to craft or tradespersons dependent on topics to show in practical ways what they do.
- School trips may be to historical settings where demonstrations can be experienced.
Progression of vocabulary
The vocabulary used will focus on tools and materials their correct names, safety and the verbs used to describe their use.
As pupils are doing food preparation they need to build a bank of words relevant to techniques, tools and the ingredients they use.
Throughout school we encourage the value of healthy eating and again the vocabulary linked to this will be developed.
Words relating to design and evaluation in simple terms.
Forest School activities begin in Reception and take place in KS1.
Skills are developed as the children move through school and include den building, whittling, making structures with logs (e.g see saw, bench, building boats and rafts), making a natural paintbrush, bug hotels, making crowns and headbands.
ELG – The intention is for children to develop skills to be able to :-
- Handle equipment and tools effectively, including pencils for writing and drawing.
- To safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- To use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes. They represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories.
KS1 – The intention is for children to
- design models or products fit for purpose
- they will use an initial process to develop and outline their ideas before engaging in the making of their items
- select the correct tools and use these safely and effectively in the production of their models
- select materials which will suit the purpose they intend their finished item to be used for
- evaluate the finished product and offer ideas of how improvements could have been made
- use technical knowledge they have been taught or skills they already have to build structures and explore and use mechanisms.